Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache: How to make a homemade cake taste like it's from a box

For HKL and her beautiful new baby, BCL

A while back, my friend HKL and I had a funny conversation on the phone about cakes and their texture.  I was surveying my friends about their preference in cake texture and getting the wide range of opinions about what people thought made a good cake.  What she said to me was this: "Why can't anyone bake a cake that tastes and feels like the one that comes from a box?"

It was a good question.  We furthered our conversation where I reminded her that the ones from the box had hydrogenated oils and a bunch of other undesirable stuff so she should just get used to the texture of a cake that was made homemade.

However, in the back of my mind, that question always stuck with me.  I tried very very hard to create cakes that were similar to the ones from the box, but they always fell a bit short in texture or in crumb.  I just couldn't match it and so I resolved myself to the idea that it was all the "bad stuff" in a cake box that made the cake texture that way.  I am not into bad stuff, so I just got used to the idea that I couldn't match it.  No big deal.

I did however, discover some recipes where they added mayonnaise or oil to the batter to make the cake.  The people behind the recipes boasted that these cakes created the best texture or the best crumb or were simply delicious.  And I became intrigued, because I did know that a cake box recipes, often has you adding oil and eggs...much like these recipes were suggesting that I do.  I decided that I would make one of these recipes and see what the end result would be.

Making a mixture of the dry ingredients and then mixing in the wet ingredients proved to be an experience extremely similar to that of making a cake from the box.  There is no creaming of butter, no adding of the eggs one by one, no tricky finicky timing of beating the batter...it was almost as easy as making a cake from a box.  I topped them with raspberry jam and finished them off with a dollop of chocolate ganache.

I made these for my church small group (my chosen group of guinea pigs for their wide range of taste buds and discerning palates) and it was met with rave reviews.  My favorite critic took a bite and said, "This tastes and feels like a cake from a box."  EXACTLY the response I wanted...well - maybe not.  But you get the idea.

Although this does have the extra step of adding raspberry jam, the making of both the cake and the chocolate ganache is so easy that you don't lose much time with the additional step. 


Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache 
(adapted from Bon Appetit | June 2010)
Makes 24 regular cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes (mini are pictured)

Cake
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.  Line cupcake pan with liners.

Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into large bowl

Whisk to blend and form well in center. (This means make a hole in your mound of ingredients)

Whisk 1 cup water, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in medium bowl or a large measuring cup to blend. Pour wet ingredients into well in dry ingredients; whisk just to blend.

Divide cake batter into cupcake liners.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes regular cupcakes, 18 for mini cupcakes.


12 comments:

StephanieP said...

I just came across your blog today. Your pictures are really beautiful. I'm going to make your egg-free/dairy-free blueberry muffins for a family dinner we are going to. I found it on a Yahoo search, actually. My son might have dairy allergies.

Joanne Choi said...

Stephanie - I have three dairy free egg free recipes for muffins - a banana muffin, a pumpkins spice one and a blueberry banana muffin...I hope they turn for you. I have a son with a severe dairy allergy so I completely feel your pain.

halim said...

wow, this look so good. and it has the texture of a cake from a box??? can't wait to try it. when oh when will i have time to bake again??

Allie said...

I can't wait to try these! They look beautiful :)

ajcabuang04 said...

I really want to make these!! They look so chocolate-y!! YUM!!!
Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Indra said...

Wonderful recipe! I am posting it on my blog this Friday http://inspireyourlifestyle.wordpress.com/ with a link to your site.

Anita said...

So you don't put any sugar in the ganache? you listed it in the ingredients but didn't say when to use it.

Joanne Choi said...

powdered sugar is just to dust on....optional. But not in the ganache itself. Thank you for catching that.

Anita said...

Thanks for the recipe. I made them tonight and so far so good. Hope I don't botch the ganache like once before.

contactos madrid said...

I think every person ought to read it.

Summer Jo said...

I am going to do a special on my blog called "14 days of chocolate" in honor of Valentines day. I will be featuring different recipes from various bloggers. I would love to feature one of your chocolate recipes. Please send me an email if you are interested believingboldly@gmail.com. You can also check out my blog - believingboldly.com

Lindsey said...

I made these yesterday and they were delicious! I followed the recipe exactly (except I cut the ganache in half and it still covered all my cupcakes)and these turned out moist decadent! I made the regular size cupcakes because I didn't have any mini size pans, but I will definitely be making these again. And again....and again! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (8) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (11) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (27) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)