Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chicken (or Turkey) Parmesan Burgers: When there is no motivation

Son is now 2 1/2 years old.  He is loving, funny, and loves his cars.  He makes silly jokes, tells me he loves me, and gives me smiles that light up my heart.  And I cannot potty train him.  Let me rephrase that.  I haven't potty trained him.  Truthfully, I'm not sure I want to potty train him.  Mother keeps HOUNDING me, every single day on the phone, "Did you pull out the potty?  Did you start?  Did you try?  Did he go in the potty?" and every day I have to say, "No.  No.  No.  No."

Honestly, I'm not that motivated.  He is my last, my final child, my baby if you will, only I know he doesn't look like one.  In public areas, when I change him, I see people looking askance and wondering in their heads, how old the huge kid is that he still isn't potty trained.  It doesn't help that Son pipes up in his clear voice saying things like, "Mom did I go only pee pee?"  It's a little embarrassing.  But still, I'm not motivated.  Mother tells me it is the right thing to do, that I'd potty trained my other two very quickly when they were younger and why I am lagging on this one.  Sorry.  Still not interested.

So why discuss toilet training on a food blog?  It's because I understand lack of motivation.  People think I am 100% all go, working hard, doing the best for my family, cooking three meals, cooking for people -but I confess, I cannot get motivated to potty train my child.  I understand what it is like NOT to want to do something, to lack motivation.  I understand all the costs and the benefits, but still can't do it.  I imagine there are many people out there who feel the same way about cooking.  It's just hard to get motivated and to start doing it.  It's daunting.  There are just too many logistics like grocery shopping, timing, and having the right utensils that make it hard.

But the amazing thing about my blog journey is this - I've seen, met, talked with, emailed with a number of people who decided to learn how to cook, to try to cook, to make their way into the kitchen and cook, many for their families, but also many just for friends.  Hearing about their own personal journey from non-motivated cook, to tentative cook, to confident cook who likes to try making new things, really....shall I say it?  Motivates me.  Makes me work harder.  Makes me want to do more.

I'm hoping that this recipe gets one more person to try making something new. I do love this burger recipe because it is egg free, which means Son can eat it.  I took out the Parmesan for his portion and just added a bit for Daughters.  It has a lovely light crunch from the panko, and it just tastes like Chicken Parmesan only it's in a burger.  Daughter #1 ate the whole thing and Daughter #2 ate an entire burger, without the bun.  I'm quite sure it will be a hit with your family.

I served them with simple roast potatoes and garlic broccoli.

In the meanwhile, now that I've confessed my horrible slacker attitude, perhaps I'll get a little more motivated.  Or maybe not.
Chicken (or Turkey) Parmesan Burgers  
adapted from Bon Appetit | March 2010

Serves 5 (makes 5 regular burgers, or 10 sliders)

1 1/4 lb ground chicken or turkey
1/4 cup good marinara sauce (room temperature or cold)
1/4 cup basil chiffonade (or finely chopped basil)
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (I only put this in the girls)
2 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
Panko breadcrumbs

2-4 tablespoons of olive oil for cooking

Assembly
5 slices of mozzarella cheese
5 buns, toasted
3/4 cup of marinara sauce
5 whole basil leaves

Pour panko breadcrumbs into a shallow bowl. 

In a large bowl, a mix together chicken, marinara, basil, Parmesan cheese, grated onion and salt. Mix well, but with a gentle hand so it is a uniform mixture.
.
Divide burgers into 5 equal parts (for burgers) or 10 equal parts (for sliders.)   Carefully shape into patties and press into the panko.  Repeat until all have been covered in panko.

Heat a fry pan over medium heat.  Add olive oil to the pan, and then place burgers carefully and cook on the first side for 3 minutes, and then flip over and cook on the second for another 3 minutes.  Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on top and cover the fry pan and cook for an additional 2 or 3 minutes, until the burgers are cooked through.  (cooking times will be reduced for sliders.)

Assemble burgers by toasting the bun (if you like or even have the time.)  Top with cooked burger, a scoop of marinara sauce and a basil leaf.  Enjoy. 


Printable recipe

4 comments:

Pia said...

I've been potty training my 2 1/2 year old, and it has been a daunting task. I've been meaning to thank you for inspiring me to cook more these days. This blog has been my motivation! Reading about another mom of 3, being so dedicated to cook for her kids, got me inspired.

Joanne Choi said...

Thanks Pia! And when you finish potty training your 21/2 year old, let me know because that may motivate me to actually try. But even publicly confessing my lack of motivation has not gotten me ready to potty train.

i'm glad you're cooking more! I LOVE hearing that!

unjung said...

These were so quick and easy to make and a huge hit with my kids. I served these with brown rice instead of on buns. The oldest and youngest had theirs with cheese melted on top whereas the middle child had bite sized ones w/o the melted cheese. I chose not to top the burger with the marinara sauce but maybe I should have as the oldest asked for a side of bbq sauce and the youngest asked for a side of ketchup! My middle child doesn't like sauce. They finished more than their share so I cannot complain!

Helen Park said...

oh, sista, i'm right there with ya. if it makes you feel better, my son is going to be 3 in september and i haven't made any effort to potty train him. my excuse? i hear boys are much slower to potty train than girls and baby 4 is on the way.

these burgers look so yummy! thanks for giving me another excuse to procrastinate! hahaha! ;o)

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (6) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (25) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (21) vegetarian (38) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)