Monday, July 26, 2010

Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup: On missing someone

For my one true love...

Husband travels sometimes in his job and he often jokingly says to me, "I'm traveling.  It's your break."  I know that many consider the times their spouses travel to be incredibly trying and difficult; in contrast, I do not.  Usually his travel means that after days with the Children, the nights are all mine.  I can catch up up on email, edit college application essays which is work that I love, and blog about books and food, two of my passions.  When Husband is away, I have at my disposal many hours in the evening where I can spend the minutes any which way I choose.  It is a wonderful luxury to have that kind of time at my fingertips and I cherish those quiet evenings doing the things I love most.  Mostly, I do not miss Husband when he is away.

However, today I made some soup with leftover rotisserie chicken.  I found in my cupboard some barley and decided to add it to the soup, if only to make it more substantial and to give a small bit of a chewy bite.  Suddenly in my heard, I heard Husband's voice saying, "I love barley.  I love the texture of it."  Like the sharpest arrow to my heart, I missed him.  Furthermore, he wasn't even going to get to eat the yummy soup and enjoy the little bits of chewy barley that he loves so much.

A quarter cup of barley made me feel a bit of emptiness where Husband's absence has left a space.  I found myself missing him so much that it made me think that perhaps all my free time that I had been enjoying was perhaps merely a way for me to avoid acknowledging how much I actually just miss Husband.  I'll have to fill that space with some soup.  Perhaps this one.
Chicken Vegetable Barley Soup
Serves 6-8

3 carrots, cut into rounds
3 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
1 onion diced
1 leftover Costco rotisserie chicken, a lot of the meat removed
2 quarts of chicken stock
1/4 cup of barley
1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes (I used diced, which I ended up pureeing.  If you like a chunkier soup you can keep them whole, but my kids don't like whole cooked tomatoes.)
1 cup of fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over, add two tablespoons of olive oil.  Add the carrots, celery, onion, and cook for 7 minutes.  Add chicken stock, leftover rotisserie chicken and tomato puree.  Bring to a simmer. Add 1/4 cup of barley.  Reduce heat and keep simmering for 20 minutes.  Remove chicken and set aside to cool a bit.  Remove soup from heat.  When chicken is cool enough to touch, remove remaining meat from bones and add to soup.  Heat soup up again (if necessary) and add basil leaves.  Add salt and pepper if needed.  Serve.

Printable recipe

7 comments:

Fuat Gencal said...

Ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz görünüyor.

Saygılar.

mina said...

awwww! i love this post. my (new!) husband is sometimes away for work as well, but i always miss him until he comes back. when i make coffee in the morning on those days, i always make too much because i'm expecting him to have a cup too! ^^

sillie smile said...

you know me...i like my space! :) if i had to choose between working late, and traveling (for the husband) i choose traveling, hands down!

then i don't have to cook for him :) or clean up after him :)

and i, too, can do whatever i want at night! (without the nagging)

jenny+3 said...

Maddie LOVED this soup. She asked for seconds and now has asked me twice to make it since having it at your place. She even ate the celery which she really dislikes. Looks like we're having soup and panini sandwiches for dinner tonight. Good thing cuz my oven's not working.

Janet said...

do you put the entire chicken carcass in the soup?

Joanne Choi said...

I put the entire carcass in there to cook and then remove the carcass and strip off the remaining meat and put the meat back in.

cheap rs gold said...

I put the whole carcass in there to prepare and then eliminate the carcass and eliminate off the staying various meats and put the various meats returning in. -)Cheap RS 2007 Gold
Gold For RS
World of Warcraft Gold Billig

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (7) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (26) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)