Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Korean Soy Cooked Potatoes - (Gamja Jolim 감자 조림): When the little things are hard

I finally did it.  I was forced off my lazy bum and have started potty training Son.  After a serious lack of motivation (read about that here) I had to bite the bullet and start potty training him.  I was actually sort of forced into it, when I discovered that I did not have any more diapers, and only had pullups and underwear.  With an inward groan, I figured that I might as well give it a whirl and see how far I got with the training, and so here I am on day two of training Son, and I will only say this...

It is NOT going well.

My most recent potty training experience is with Daughter #2, who was, remarkably easy.  I simply explained to her to pee in the potty. She did it once, figured out that is what she was supposed to do, and did it.  One day.  One explanation. One successful pee in the potty.  She knew and she understood.  She from that day forward has had a total of about 10 accidents.  She also went spontaneously dry in the night about three days later.  That was my last experience with potty training.  I know that it was insanely easy and simple compared to other experiences and it was for that reason I was particularly dreading Son's training.

You aren't supposed to compare children and their potty training experience, so let me in my defense say this - I'm not comparing the two at all.  What I am comparing is how EASY the training of Daughter #2 was for ME  to how hard training Son is for ME.  I'm not comparing the two kids. 

It has been two days of endless reminding "go to the potty" every 15 minutes, and having him sit there and produce nothing.  Then I have the frustrating experience of right after he has sat on the potty, to have him go in his training pants.  Today, finally, he made one into the potty and Daughters #1 and #2 and I applauded like crazy and did a little dance in the bathroom for him.  Less than fifteen minutes later, he did it in his training pants.

With the mental burden of trying not to lose my mind while potty training, I decided to make an easy potato dish that Son and Daughters really love.  With the stress of potty training, I could only manage to make an easy dish.  This is a Korean side dish (banchan 반찬) that you might often see at a Korean restaurant.    It is because it is easy to make and cheap to boot with a great balance of sweet and salty.  It tastes great warm and lovely cold.  It would be a great addition to any a bento/lunchbox for your child.
Korean Soy Cooked Potatoes (Gamja Jolim 감자조림)
Serves 4-5 (depending how much they like potatoes)

2-3 potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes.  (about 2 1/2 cups of potatoes cut up)
2 tablespoons of oil
1 onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup of water (you may need more depending on the potatoes)
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon sake
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (I used black just for dramatic touch)

Place cut potatoes in cold water to remove excess starch. Give them a swirl in the water and drain.

Heat a fry pan over medium heat.  Put two tablespoons of oil and add drained potatoes, onions and garlic.  Cook stirring occasionally, until the onions turn translucent and potatoes are partially cooked, about 10 minutes. 

Add water, soy sauce, and sake to the fry pan.  Continue cooking, allowing the potatoes to soak up the liquids and cook, stirring occasionally to allow the potatoes to cook evenly.  

When all the liquid has evaporated, check to see if potatoes are nearly done.  The potatoes should still hold their form and be slightly firm to the bite.  (not mushy.)  If necessary add a 1/4 cup more water, otherwise add honey and sesame oil and coat the potatoes with the mixture.  Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.

You can serve it immediately, or let it cool and serve it cold.

Printable recipe

10 comments:

Fuat Gencal said...

Ellerinize sağlık. Leziz bir görüntü.

Saygılar.

hudson umma said...

totally gonna make this - awesome!

Joy said...

That looks great. I totally understand the potty training. I did not think it would be this difficult.

angies said...

this was perfect because i had a bunch of potatoes i needed to use! one of my favorite side dishes! thanks again unni!

into my own said...

My daughter trained in two weeks flat, even with a long road trip in the middle. She had wanted to wear those big girl princess underwear, much to my feminist chagrin. I had her wear those bulky, boring white underwear with plastic pants because she hated the feeling. I did too but it was motivating to move up to the good undies. So I tried with my son at 2, with the same 2 week timeline in mind. Thankfully, I had also knownl it's harder to potty train boys than girls. So I tried, it was painful and I quit. I tried 6 months later and he and I were both more ready. You know my son loved being able to pee outside! It totally revolutionized potty training for him. That was the secret, understand what motivated your particular child. My son didn't give a flip about character underwear or the uncomfortable soggy, noisy underwear combo. I know, peeing on a rock outside isn't the potty. BUT ONLY big boys who wore underwear, could pee outside, standing up! Summer is great for potty training because all the outdoor time is easier to deal with accidents in undies during training. Also I see another thread in your email. I hope what i have to say will have meaning for you. I will pray for you. I am a Korean woman who was adopted to an Italian family, and grew up as the lone minority for a long time. I married a Jewish Polish man, who taught me how to use chopsticks and introduced me to Korean food. All this to say, don't let regret tear and wear you down. I pray you have peace with the decisions that are made and done. Have peace about where you're at in this season of life, who knows WHO God will bring into your life next and for what reason? My grammar and sentence structure are terrible. So please don't disregard my words. I am finally coming into my own, living a life that is a 180 from my plan. Some days I do wrestle with reconciling the life I live now with the life I planned then. Those days are discouraging and don't acknowledge the LIVING of LIFE. Your website helps me do so. You are a blessing in my life. You are blessing in the lives of your children. You are a blessing in the lives of the numerous people you "minister" to through sharing your gift. When you share your gift, I share and I see others share your yummy food with others. You're blessing people exponentially. Thank you. Praying for you, to receive as exponentially as you give.

Joanne Choi said...

Thanks to all for all the wonderful comments.

into my own - thank you for your warm words of encouragement! I hope that I can continue being a blessing to others.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for including the volume of potatoes. "Medium potato" always seems so arbitrary hehe.

creme_brulee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

hi i'm new here! thank you for the recipes and photos! i ask my mom to teach me how to make korean food and her reply? ...a pinch of this of pinch of that and a spoonful of this *?!?1 :) so thank you. could you recommend a substitute for sake, preferably non-alcoholic as I am feeding a 1 year old? (think most of the alcohol burns off during the cooking process, but still!) Thank you for sharing all your recipes!!

Joanne Choi said...

you can just omit the sake if you so wish!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (4) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (15) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (16) chicken (32) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (24) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (2) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (2) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (2) cupcakes (20) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (28) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (39) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (11) easy lunch (6) easy main course (41) easy side dish (42) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (3) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (1) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (9) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (15) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (3) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (2) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (2) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (8) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (48) lasagna (1) lemon (12) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (4) main course (5) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (6) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (1) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party planning (15) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (3) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) pops (1) pork (6) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (5) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (21) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (10) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (1) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (11) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (7) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (2) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (11) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (22) vegetables (19) vegetarian (36) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (3) zucchini (1)