Friday, August 13, 2010

Jelly Swirled Egg Free Dairy Free Donut Muffins: Finding those things in plain view

Son and Daughters lose something everyday.  I seem to spend an inordinate amount of my day looking for those things that are lost.  It usually happens first thing in the morning, when I'm trying to rush out the door to get to various places on time, and suddenly I'll hear the shrieks, yelps, cries, or whimpers from one child proclaiming, "My OBJECT is missing!" and suddenly I have to whip around the house looking for whatever is missing, and often find it in the most obvious place to my frustration.  Missing shoe?  By the front door of course.  Missing computer game? In the shelf, just tucked in the back.  Swim goggles?  In the bathtub where they were last used. (The BEST trick for getting your child used to having their hair and head wet with the shower.)  Son and Daughters seem to miss finding those things and I'll spend time doing it.

It's probably not their priority to actually go out and hunt for what is missing.  Even with my prodding, "I think I saw it upstairs" or the usual, "Open your eyes and LOOK" Son and Daughter cannot find those things that are missing. It's like they are hidden, even if they are in plain sight.  And as much as I'd like to point fingers at Son and Daughters for not being able to find those things that are in plain view, I realize that I am just as guilty.

I fail to see the smile of Son when he sees me walk through the door.  I miss the look of sadness on Daughter #2's face when she goes into school, missing me.  I don't feel the touch of Daughter's #1's hand as she reaches for me, asking me to slow down.  My own business, my own inability to slow down, my own personal chaos makes me miss those things that are in plain view.

I'm trying harder not to miss out on those things.  Tonight, Son and Daughters cleaned their plates at dinner.  A lovely moment.  I didn't miss that.  I found myself smiling when I heard Son farting and then laughing at his body's ability to make those loud crazy sounds.  I saw the look of enjoyment in Daughter #1's eyes as she read a book and I found myself staring at Daughter #2's intense look of concentration as she tried to get over her fear of putting her head in the water.  The small moments, in plain view, yet often hidden to me, I tried to find today.

And somehow, it made me think about jelly filled donuts.  Why?  A jelly donut has the jelly middle, which you can't really see, but on the side, it's in plain view.  You know the donut is filled with something because there is the telltale sign of red on the side.  So I thought I'd try and make some, only they'd have to be baked and they would have to be dairy and egg free (vegan).  They aren't really like your traditional jelly donut, but they are a funky imitation, copying the basic flavors.  Son and Daughters really liked them, and exclaimed, "OOOH I can see something inside!"  They are not difficult to make, and are a fun muffin to add to your repertoire.

Jelly Swirled Egg Free Dairy Free (Vegan) Donut MuffinsMakes between 11-12 regular muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1 banana, mashed
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil (do not be tempted to change this to butter - it will change the texture of the doffin)
3/4 cup coconut milk (which adds wonderful flavor) OR soy milk OR almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup your choice of jam or jelly
1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioners)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil. (Do not be tempted to use liners - the point of doing these directly in the muffin tin is to have them pop out and be able to get sugar to stick to the sides without the addition of butter.

In a large bowl, beat together sugar and mashed banana until well incorporated. Pour in vegetable oil, coconut milk milk and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pour into wet mixture and stir to combine.

Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Dollop the top of each muffin with about 1 teaspoon of jelly/jam.

Swirl with a spoon.


Bake for 20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

While muffins are baking, pour confectioners sugar into a small bowl.

When muffins are done, allow them to cool for about 15 minutes.  Pop them out of the pan and then roll them in confectioners sugar, coating all the sides until it is completely covered.  Repeat until all muffins are done.


Printable recipe

A little something hidden in plain view.

9 comments:

Fuat Gencal said...

Ellerinize,emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

Saygılar.

The Urban Baker said...

these look great! is the banana what binds them? i am going to have to try these.

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh, this look delicious! And so beautiful! Your photographs are gorgeous.
I've recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think :) www.prettygoodfood.com
Thanks, and Happy Cooking!!!

Eun Joo said...

Joanne, do you think subbing applesauce for the banana would work in this recipe? Thanks!

Joanne Choi said...

I would say that banana has different baking properties than applesauce. I am going to say probably nit because the banana replaces egg.

leisu said...

everyone commented well, I'm not trying to bring down the thread but i thought someone should actually 'review' this, as i was looking for one but didn't find it before cooking this.
the banana is very overwhelming in this, it's heavy and not very donut like.
my kids both hated it. even my allergy kid who usually isn't very picky.

Joanne Choi said...

Hi Leisu -

I love feedback both good and bad. I'm sorry that these didn't work out for you. I've made them and if it is on my blog it's basically my endorsement that this is a good recipe. I'm wondering if maybe your baking powder was a little bit past its due date (common for a lot of people) and that is why the muffin didn't turn out as you expected?

It's really not a donut, I know. But the texture shouldn't be heavy but it does taste like banana (since it's in there.) I don't usually use egg replacer because I don't like the chemical flavor I taste, but maybe try these with egg replacer instead? OR...you can try the other plain vegan donut muffin. Those have been a huge hit with a lot of allergic kids.

Thanks for your comment!! I do appreciate all feedback.

www.teruel-3d.com said...

This won't have effect in reality, that's exactly what I think.

Amelia said...

I have frozen banana that I use in smoothies. Would those work or should I wait till my fresh bananas get a bit browner?

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (25) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)