Monday, August 16, 2010

Mocha Mochi Cake: Adults only please

Adults only, please.

There are times when I think that is the way I'd like to live my day.  Adults only, please.  I'd like to go to the bathroom with no children, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, sitting down and not doing the dance of up and down that I normally do, and live my day without thinking about Children.

Adults only, please.

Having three kids means that this is not a reality, not for a long while yet. Therefore, adult only moments are what I must seek out and find.

Adults only, please.

This mocha mochi cake does it.  It is not without a twinge of satisfaction and pleasure that I say to Children, "No, you cannot have it.  It has coffee in it."  I take a bite of delicious rich coffee and chocolate flavor, as children look on. mouths agape.

Adults only, please.  Yes, thank you.  I'll take this moment for myself.  Mocha Mochi Cake and me.
Mocha Mochi Cake
Makes one 9X13 pan, about 24 squares

The cake itself has that special mochi cake texture, richly scented with coffee and chocolate.  The coffee elevates and heightens the flavor of the chocolate and the chocolate completely enhances the flavor of the coffee.  It's a match made in heaven for sure.   

1 lb box of mochiko flour (3 cups equivalent)
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Frontier Fair Trade Organic...very tasty)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 14 oz can of coconut milk - not lowfat
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
7 tablespoons instant coffee granules (I used decaf, but you can use regular coffee)
5 large eggs
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup of butter) melted and slightly cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9X13 baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together mochiko flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.

In a separate bowl or large measuring cup (4 cup capacity), beat eggs, then add coconut milk, evaporated milk, coffee granules, vanilla extract and melted butter.  Mix to blend until coffee granules are almost all dissolved.


Carefully pour the wet ingredients over the mochiko flour mixture and whisk until mixture is smooth and uniform in texture.

Pour batter into greased 9X13 pan. Carefully smooth out the top.

Bake for 90 minutes, until top is dark brown and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Allow cake to cool for about 30 minutes on a rack, and then carefully flip it out and cut into 24 squares, or the size of your choice. Can store coffee mochi cake for three days, covered.


Printable recipe

Turn your coffee experience upside down with this cake.

The cocoa powder I used...very great flavor and quality.  ORGANIC TOO!

13 comments:

Me, the hubby, plus 3 said...

yum! that recipe sounds divine! can't wait try it!

i hear you on the adult time. it's non-existent most days for me. with three kids and the youngest being 2, it's difficult to find time for myself. the shower is my 15 minutes of luxury on most days. food is my second escape (when the kids allow me to enjoy my food by myself).

thanks for creating!!

Fuat Gencal said...

Ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve güzel görünüyor.

Saygılar.

leesh said...

I'm going to be a pest, but I'm curious why not the low fat coconut milk. ??? :) I can't imagine allowing myself a) to eat this cake alone-no sharing and b) bypass the lowfat coconut milk on the shelf.

I'll still make it...I'm just curious.
PS. My dad is begging me to make this over Labor Day!

Joanne Choi said...

Leesh - go ahead and try the lowfat. I've used lowfat before but texturally I think that this cake benefits from the full fat coconut milk. The richness of the coconut milk just fully compliments the rest of the cake with the chocolate and coffee. But you probably won't notice it if you use low fat. It is just a small subtle difference for me and I chose to go with the full fat.

Joy said...

That looks so good. I can't wait to try this.

kimmy203 said...

I can't wait to make this, but I have to ask, how in the world did you get the squares so perfect? They look fabulous!

http://girlandblog.wordpress.com/

Joanne Choi said...

Thanks Kimmy. To get really good squares (not perfect but good) I allowed the cake to cool and then flipped out the entire thing onto a cutting board. Then I used a serrated knife and just began sectioning off the cake - first halves, then quarters and so on and so forth. The texture of the cake invites you to make nice straight lines so it's actually not that hard. :)

BakingDiva said...

Thank you Joanne! Love your blog, I will let you know how it goes for me.
http://bakingdivakcl.wordpress.com/

Rhymes with Planet said...

Hi, Can I just leave out the coffee and make it a mocha cake to make it kid friendly?

Joanne Choi said...

if you want to do a straight up chocolate version, I'd just add half a cup of cocoa powder to the dry mixture and continue with the recipe as written.

bentobsessed said...

These look wonderful! Got to go make some this weekend. Hum...kids aren't allowed to have coffee? Odd...I grew up in a family that had all of us kids drinking a mix of coffee and milk for breakfast every day. We all adored coffee, and still do. But then again we weren't normal. My granddad was regional manager for a coffee company and coffee was central to all of our lives. It's just not good for the kids that are hyper, and not all are.

Elizabeth said...

I hear you to on the no kid time. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 month old and it is endless. Wine and coffee work wonders on it though..and these look like they could help to!

Wendy said...

Just tried your mocha mochi cake recipe today for a dinner party for family members mostly 60+ yrs old. All had more than one servings and asked for the recipe. Love your week of menu blog and thank you for creating/sharing gluten free dishes for those living with food intolerant children. My daughter is 5 and is intolerant to various food (berries, citrus, wheat, basically anything processed). Your blog entries have really given me ideas and inspired me to cook for my family. A big thank you and good luck on the food blog contest.

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (13) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (24) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (20) vegetarian (37) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)