Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pseudo Bibimbap: When it is just way too hot...

I hate hot.  I hate being hot.  I hate everything about hot.  I don't even like the clothes you wear when hot and for that matter, I don't like the clothes that you don't wear when hot.   If I am not two steps away from jumping into the ocean or a nice cool swimming pool, I just can't stand hot.  Today I called friend TR, who has been complaining about how cold it has been in the Bay Area.  I bellowed into the phone, "CALL OFF THE HOT WEATHER!  It's ALL your fault."

"I love this weather.  It's the best," she said cheerfully.

"Call it off!  Make it go away.  You brought it here.  You send it back.  I can't deal."

"Stop whining about it and enjoy it," she scolded.

"I'm NOT whining!"  WHIIIIINIIING!" I whined.

The hot weather completely stymied me.  It didn't help that spent the first three hours of the hot day waiting for an oil change walking around in the sun and the second half watching Daughters in their swim lesson, also baking in a hot room.  (indoor pool.)

By the time dinner prep time rolled around, the thought of standing in my kitchen completely made me want to lie on the floor...a cold marble one if I could find one.  Our house has no air-conditioning and was reaching close to 88 F indoors and turning on the stove to cook something was the last thing on my mind. To further complicate things, Mother-in-law was visiting, and I always like to prepare something nice for her.  But the heat was stopping me, so I casually asked her if it would be okay if we had pseudo-bibimbap.  (Korean mixed rice.)  She wondered what it was, and I just simply told her I'd be making bibimbap with minimal stove time.  She said it sounded good so I headed to the kitchen.

I had, already at my disposal, some Korean marinade flank steak, which I had made over the weekend.  It was already cooked, so I simply chopped it up.  I julienned some cucumbers, sauteed some spinach, and fried an egg.  I used one fry pan to saute the spinach, warm the meat and fry the egg, so quick and easy cleanup.    Mother-in-law loved it, Son and Daughters ate it all up, and I have to say, that it was a pretty darn tasty bibimbap....pseudo as it is.

I have a couple of other posts where I discuss the art of pseudo bibimbap...here and here.
Pseudo Bibimbap - Version 3
Serves 4-6

1/2 cup to 1 cup cooked rice per person (Son and Daughters eat around 3/4 cup.)
1 lb of cooked meat, your choice.  Flank steak, grilled steak, bulgogi all are fine
2 mini cucumbers (Persian) cut julienne

12-16 ozs of baby spinach
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper
1 pinch of toasted sesame seeds

4-6 eggs

Gochujang (Korean spicy red pepper paste)
Sesame oil

Assembly
Scoop appropriate amounts of rice in bowls.

Prepare spinach by heating up a saute pan on high.  Add vegetable oil, sesame oil and spinach.  Saute quickly, wilting the spinach - about 1-2 minutes.  remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Divide spinach and top each mound of rice with spinach.

In the same fry pan, add meat and heat it up, so that it is warm.  Also add onto the rice.

Heat oil in the frypan over medium heat.  Crack eggs and begin cooking carefully, so that they are sunny side up.  (I'm actually a really horrible egg fryer, but I find that lower heat is better suited to getting that nice runny yolk.)

Add julienne cucumber on top and finish with egg.  Serve with gochujang (Korean spicy red pepper paste) and sesame oil. Have everyone mix their rice bowls and scoop up!

(as a side note, Son and Daughter don't use red pepper paste, but I do add a dash of soy sauce and sesame oil to their bibimbap to facilitate mixing.)

Printable recipe
Son's version - no egg, but with a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I can't wait to try this. Nor can my hubby. Ironically, my son *loves* the spiciness of this dish and tends to put on just as much "sauce" as we do!

Helen said...

have you ever made dolsot bimbimbap? that is my absolute fav!

Krupa Hoper said...

Tip for a perfectly cooked egg... Once bottom is about done add a tiny bit of water to pan and cover with see through lid- this steams the top when it looks perfect it will be... I cannot flip eggs for the life of me and my hubby hates the top white watery. Recipe looks great thanks for sharing :)

Hannah C. said...

Made this for dinner tonight for my family. We loved this! Even my kids, age 6 and 4, ate it up and even had seconds. I was blown away by how eagerly they ate their veggies! A couple things I did differently: used jangjorim meat since that's what I had on hand, sauteed some carrots with garlic and threw that in too. Was out of kochujang so we all had it with soy sauce and sesame oil on top (great suggestion, Joanne!). Yum!! Thanks so much!!

Sandy said...

You just bought a house with no AC?! Forget asking for landscaping, ask for central air! Until then, eat ice chips with your bibimbap. :)

tienda said...

This cannot have effect in fact, that is what I believe.

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (13) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (24) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (20) vegetarian (37) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)