Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Donut Muffins (Egg Free Dairy Free): I need to give up my running shoes and sit.

Mornings are generally a very crazy time for me. As soon as I wake up, I am usually running around the house at top speed to get things done before kids wake up.  I like to have a quick peek at email, to see if anything important, or at least entertaining is waiting for me, then I usually like to have some sense of what I will offer Kids for breakfast. I wish I could say to everyone that I make an amazing breakfast every morning for Son and Daughters, but the truth is that I don't.  The fact that Son cannot eat eggs makes me less willing to bust an egg out for the morning meal, so mostly it is cereal or something baked with some sort of dairy/non-dairy product.

But even with such a simple breakfast, I find my mornings very very crazy.  I don't ever sit down at breakfast.  I have three Kids sitting down, and I'm doing wheelies around the kitchen table trying to get lunches ready and gulping coffee,  Mornings are never a time to rest and relax and instead I'm always going and going and going.  Mornings are more a time for my blood pressure to go up as I stress about the timing of getting to school on time. 

But I realize and know it's been incredibly bad for my health.  I rarely eat breakfast, save for the cup of coffee I have and the morning flies by and I'm ravenous at lunch.  I need to make a concerted effort to sit down and enjoy whatever I am eating without feeling like I'm running at top speed in the morning.  I'm going to try and do that.  I will try and enjoy my Vegan Chocolate Donut Muffin, carefully biting into it and carefully sipping my coffee.  I bet it will taste even better than when I shoved it into my mouth and continued doing my laps around the kitchen.
Vegan Chocolate Donut Muffins (Egg Free Dairy Free)
Makes 11-12 regular donut muffins, or 20-24 mini donut muffins (mini muffins pictured above)

2/3 cup sugar
1 banana, mashed
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup coconut milk (which adds wonderful flavor) OR soy milk OR almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioners)

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil. (Do not be tempted to use liners - the point of doing these directly in the muffin tin is to have them pop out and be able to get sugar to stick to the sides without the addition of butter)

In a large bowl, beat together sugar and mashed banana until well incorporated. Pour in vegetable oil, coconut milk milk and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pour into wet mixture and stir to combine.  Stir gently.

Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

While muffins are baking, pour confectioners sugar into a small bowl.

When muffins are done, allow them to cool for about 15 minutes.  Pop them out of the pan and then roll them in confectioners sugar, coating all the sides until it is completely covered.  Repeat until all muffins are done.


Printable recipe

Why wouldn't I want to sit down to this?

The cocoa powder I used for this recipe.

8 comments:

unjung said...

That really looks good. I can so go for one (or two or three...)

Fuat Gencal said...

Çok güzeller, birini aldım gidiyorum.

Saygılar.

The Urban Baker said...

these actually sound really, really good. i am going to have to make them! thanks

Joy said...

Great recipe. My nephew could actually eat this.

mina said...

thanks! i made them today and they're the perfect midnight snack... (;

Nicci said...

My kids are so happy about this. We are making them now!

diane said...

wanted to thank you for this recipe. my son has dairy and soy allergy.
made it this morning and HE LOVED IT!
didnt know dairy free recipe can taste this good.

Nicci said...

Lucas has a new favorite muffin! "Mom, these are better than pumpkin muffins!" Thankfully cocoa powder is easier to come by year round then pumpkin.

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (13) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (24) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (20) vegetarian (37) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)