Monday, August 16, 2010

Watermelon, Arugula, Feta Salad: Sitting down at meals is a luxury

 For CY, Happy Birthday and for SS who loved it.

I was at a pool party on Saturday, where the host and hostess barbecued for a bunch of people from our church.  I spent about one and half hours in the water, getting splashed repeatedly in the face as Daughters and Son tried to figure out how best to keep their mommy spluttering for air.  After the pool part was over, the group adjourned to the patio to eat the potluck of kalbi, salad, noodle salad and kimchee.  As soon as Son and Daughters saw the kalbi they went nutso, demanding more, and the moment of serving the meal started.  Son and Daughters were all sitting on opposite ends of the table, which meant that I started running around the table to meet all of their needs.  They needed their meat cut, they needed more juice, they wanted water, they didn't want to eat something, they wanted to eat something else, and in the end I just kept circling the table over and over trying to get Son and Daughters fed.

The whole while I did this, I also had a plate of food in my hand, that got picked up and set down repeatedly.  I had in my mind the idea that I would actually get a moment to put some food in my mouth, but mostly I was using my plate as a weight as I flexed my biceps up and down.  At one point, one very gallant gentleman stood up and offered me his chair.  I said, "No.  I can't sit down and eat when the kids are at the table.  Please sit yourself." Friend JEL looked at me across the table and told me to sit down and I simply replied that I couldn't.  The food on my plate was cold already, so I simply ate standing up.  I then smiled, and said, "But tomorrow I WILL sit down for an entire meal," as I was going out do dinner, without Kids, to a lovely restaurant.  (Spruce.  One of my favorites.  French fries to die for.)  The thought of eating sitting down the entire meal brought a smile to my face.

At Spruce, I sat for the entire meal.  I have no recent memory of the last time I did that. I sat the entire time and even when I had to use the restroom, I told myself that sitting down was a far greater luxury than an empty bladder;  I held it, if only to lengthen and experience the sensation of sitting down, and truly enjoying my food. Among the four dishes we had as a first course, there was a watermelon, arugula, feta salad that really caught both my eye and my tastebuds.  The flavors seem odd, but I assure you, together it is a fantastic combination and contrast of salty sweet, light rich, satisfying refreshing. It is incredibly simple to put together.

When I made it at home, I forced myself to sit down the entire time to eat it.  I did not get up and I asked Children to just wait a few moments as I sat and finished my salad, as a reminder to myself, that actually I do like eating sitting down.

**Preparation note
How to cube a watermelon?  I simply cut across the watermelon and get myself a nice circle.  I cut off the rind, and then cut it into even cubes.
Watermelon, Arugula, Feta Salad
Serves 4

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
Salt
Pepper

6 cups of arugula
3 cups of cold, fresh, and ripe watermelon, cubed
1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese (almost 2 oz)

Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, honey, salt and pepper together.  Set aside.

On four individual plates, place a layer of arugula, artfully put some watermelon on top of the arugula and then sprinkle feta cheese, divided equally among four plates.   Carefully drizzle a small amount of dressing over each plate.

Printable recipe

Refreshing and delicious, perfect for those suffering in the heat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Will try even though i don't like feta. Thank you!

Fuat Gencal said...

Karpuzlu salata çok güzel bir tarif. Bende deneyeceğim. Ellerinize sağlık.

Saygılar.

sillie smile said...

you are a good mom! i spend time at most parties either making my husband do everything, or forcing Sillie to get it herself (or convincing her she doesn't really need it). hehehe...

Sooae said...

you are a genius!!!!! Where do you come up with your ideas???? Cannot wait to try this one, looks so refreshing!!

unjung said...

yummm...looks delicious!

Joanne Choi said...

Sooae....not a genius. A copycat. I ate this somewhere and I tried to recreate it. It is really yummy and refreshing!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (13) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (24) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (20) vegetarian (37) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)