Thursday, September 9, 2010

Balsamic Drumsticks: I want to be a rockstar

For JEL, HJL, CY, GC, who let me play the drums, even when they wanted to.

I want to be a rockstar.  More accurately, I'd like to be a part of a rock band, as the drummer.  Last weekend, at friend JEL's house, I had the chance to play Rock Band with friends, and can I just say, I lost myself.  I am normally very disciplined about leaving homes on time, in order that Son and Daughters can go to bed on time, but this evening, I COULD NOT tear myself away.  Every minute ticked by and at the end of each song, I insisted we play another.   And another.  And another.  It was my first time on the drums and I couldn't stop playing.  My lack of discipline and care was astounding and it was 2 hours past my normal departure time when I stumbled out of JEL's house, rock tunes dancing in my hand, and fingers holding imaginary drumsticks as I beat out rhythms with my fists.

For a few days afterwards, my chopsticks became drumsticks, my pencil and pens became drumsticks and I pretended to tap out rhythms.  I am not that good, but for whatever reason, I think I CAN be good.  It's another thing on my list of things I'd like to accomplish before I die - be good at drumming.  In the meanwhile, I continue to grab random objects and use them as drumsticks...including chicken drumsticks.

These balsamic drumsticks are a current favorite of Daughters.  I like to cook them long so the skin gets crispy, the meat tender, almost falling off the bone, and the sauce just coating it all. They are simple enough to make - bake chicken, make sauce, bring them together, and they taste delicious.  They are sticky, messy, and probably wouldn't be very good at being drumsticks, but they taste very good as you rock out to beats in your head. 

Balsamic Drumsticks
Adapted from a recipe by Giada de Laurenttis

10-12 chicken drumsticks, skin on
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper for seasoning

Balsamic Sauce
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 garlic cloves,minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a saucepan, add all sauce ingredients together.  Whisk to combine and simmer over medium heat 15-20 minutes, until mixture is reduced by a 1/3.  It will be thick, similar in consistency to ketchup. Set aside until needed.

Chicken preparation

Preheat oven to 400.
On a roasting pan, with a the grilling tray on top ( the tray that allows you to cook chicken and let the fat drip to the pan underneath) place chicken drumsticks in a single layer.  Drizzle chicken with a bit of olive oil and season each drumstick with salt and pepper.  Place chicken in oven, and roast for about 45 minutes, until chicken is golden.



Remove chicken from oven, and baste balsamic sauce over each drumstick, coating each piece evenly.  Return chicken to oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is slightly caramelized.  Remove chicken from oven, turn over each drumstick, spread more sauce on the other side, and repeat cooking process.  Remove from oven.  Serve with remaining warm barbecue sauce.


The dinner of true rockstars

6 comments:

Prisca said...

That looks yummy! I'd love to give it a try. How do you clean the pan afterward?

hudson umma said...

i make giada's balsamic drumsticks all the time! gotta try your version!

Biz said...

I love chicken like that - fall off the bone. I recently made fried chicken, in the deep fryer, but I am pretty sure your dish is a lot healthier!

Annette said...

Thank you for this recipe; I made it last night and it was delicious. Oh and it was even better today, cold from the fridge.

Hyperplanning Chick said...

I was browsing your recipes and I found this one. I can't wait to try it out!! Thanks for the great recipe.

Darla Goble said...

OMG please let me know what that quinoa recipe is... The picture with the chicken on the plate looks like some quinoa I had a while back and never got a recipe for..! I’d appreciate it greatly!!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (4) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (15) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (16) chicken (32) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (24) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (2) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (2) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (2) cupcakes (20) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (28) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (39) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (11) easy lunch (6) easy main course (41) easy side dish (42) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (3) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (1) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (9) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (15) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (3) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (2) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (2) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (8) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (48) lasagna (1) lemon (12) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (4) main course (5) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (6) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (1) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party planning (15) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (3) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) pops (1) pork (6) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (5) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (21) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (10) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (1) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (11) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (7) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (2) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (11) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (22) vegetables (19) vegetarian (36) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (3) zucchini (1)