Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oatmeal Toffee Raisin Cookies: Poor bedside manner.

For PB who can't eat chocolate and SYJ whose mouth ate many of these before his brain found out.

Husband has told me for a long time that I have a horrible bedside manner.  It's true.  I can't deny it.  I have horrific bedside manner.  If you are sick, achy, pained, or hurt in some way I am probably the last person you want to talk to.  When Son and Daughters come to me complaining about some pain or some problem I'll simply slap a bandaid on it and send them on their way.  No hugs, no kisses, no "mommy will make it better" type responses.  I simply just send them on their way.

When Husband complains about aches and pains, or gets sick, my first and initial response is one of exasperation.  He usually gets very scared of my response, and then gets mad that I'm not "nicer" when he is sick.  But quite frankly, I've had three babies, two delivered without any pain intervention, and so pain or discomfort is not something that I have a lot of sympathy for.  I'm not good with my words in that way.

But I am good with my actions.  I'll cook Husband food, take up trays of hot steaming something, and try to nurse him back to health.  Of course, I'll bark at him, "Wake up and eat while it's hot" and then stomp out of the room, but I really do try.  I really want him to get better, if only so that I'm not suffering nursing him, so I'll do my best.  I like to make or bake for him the things that he likes in order to whet his appetite.

In the end, when Husband complains about my bedside manner, I always remind him, "I still make you food to make you better!"  He wishes I were nicer and sweeter in my tone and disposition, and I wish he just wouldn't get sick.

I made these cookies for a friend when she was sick, barked at her, "Hurry up and get well," gave her a hug and went on my way.  I'm pretty sure that these cookies nursed her back to health faster than sweet words from my lips.

Oatmeal Toffee Raisin Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light-brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cups rice krispies (I use brown rice krispies from whole foods)
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 cup toffee pieces, (5 1/2 ounces)

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour and baking soda, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl once or twice during mixing. Add egg, and mix on high speed to combine. Add vanilla extract; mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Add the sifted flour a bit at a time on a low speed until well combined. Add oatmeal, raisins, rice krispies, and toffee pieces; mix to combine.

Divide dough into three equal portions, and roll into logs using plastic wrap, approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter. To bake, cut logs into 3/4-inch pieces. Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets, until golden brown, 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to a baking rack to cool.

Printable recipe
Packed some up to also give to Daughters' teachers.

The texture and flavor of these cookies will have you feeling better in no time.

The brown rice krispies I like...good price too!  (6 boxes you must purchase however.)


The toffee I buy - but not from here.

6 comments:

The Urban Baker said...

I love anything with toffee in it. Heath bars were my favorite growing up and today is not different. These look delicious!

Joy said...

I totally understand your feeling about that. I will only baby a little and than they are on their own. I am only worried when it is really bad. My husband thinks something is wrong with me at times but he doesn't baby me when I'm sick so i think it is just fair :D. I love the recipe btw.

sillie smile said...

hehehehe...pic made me happy.

btw: i'm from the suck-it-up school as well. which is why i don't call the dr, until the husband makes me.

Cella Babee said...

I made your cookies this weekend and EVERYBODY loved them! This is definitely going to my "favorite recipes" box. Thanks!!!

Jackie said...

Hi Joanne

No salt in recipe.

Joanne Choi said...

Hi Jackie -

yeah...no salt in this one. The toffee has a bit of salt and I haven't found it necessary. Feel free to add if you like it. :)

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (4) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (15) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (16) chicken (32) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (24) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (2) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (2) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (2) cupcakes (20) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (28) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (39) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (11) easy lunch (6) easy main course (41) easy side dish (42) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (3) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (1) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (9) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (15) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (3) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (2) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (2) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (8) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (48) lasagna (1) lemon (12) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (4) main course (5) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (6) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (1) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party planning (15) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (3) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) pops (1) pork (6) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (5) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (21) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (10) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (1) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (11) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (7) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (2) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (11) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (22) vegetables (19) vegetarian (36) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (3) zucchini (1)