Monday, September 27, 2010

Portabello Crusted Ribeye: Now that I am practical

To Husband, whose love for me has changed me.

Pre-husband days, I dreamed about a man who would romance me, whisk me off my feet, give me flowers just because,  wine and dine me, buy me unexpected gifts, and just WOO me every single day of my life.

Yeah, not so much.

Not that Husband isn't wonderful.  He is an amazing provider while being incredibly funny and warm. He knows how to make me laugh and is my true love.  But his other side is that he is EXTREMELY practical.  From the early days of our dating, he never tried once to buy me a birthday present.  His logic was that if I didn't like it, returning it was a bigger pain in the butt.  He'd rather that we just go together and shop for it.  I've received flowers from him once, but he'd much rather buy me a potted plant since flowers die.  Nowadays, he doesn't even think about birthday presents, but just assumes that I have something in mind that I want, and he'll tell ME to go get it.  Sometimes I might even have to wrap it myself (like I did this past Christmas.)  After sixteen years of a relationship, his practicality has rubbed off and changed me.

I've become practical.  I don't mind the gift giving thing nor do I mind the lack of cards or lack of flowers, and I don't even mind choosing a present for myself (for I do know what I like BEST - this year CAMERA gear and a DRUM SET)  I think it's pretty appropriate for a mother of three kids to be somewhat practical and that's what I am.

Which is why I am doing this recipe.  I posted a Porcini Crusted Beef recipe, which used Kobe beef and dried porcini mushrooms.  Not exactly all that practical, nor is it readily available for the average home cook.  I decided to use the same technique but go for it again with more readily available ingredients.  It's more practical.  The recipe is still FANTASTIC (better than practical!) and this evening, Son and Daughters fought over the beef to the point where I didn't get any, save for the few bites I took when tasting the dish.  Good thing I took those two bites when I did.

I served this with garlic broccoli and brown rice that I mixed with a drizzle of sesame oil and soy sauce.  (Kids' favorite.)

**Preparation notes
Dried portabello mushrooms
 
The ribeye steak sliced.  I trimmed off major chunks of fat, but still left some in order to help flavor the meat.

Portobello Crusted Ribeye
Serves 4

1 1/2 lbs of rib eye, NY strip or other steak type cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 ounce dried portabello mushrooms (Whole Foods - on sale!)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons olive oil, more if needed
salt (sea salt if you have)
4 scallions, chopped (cut on the diagonal if you want an extra pretty effect)

In the bowl of a mini prep, add all the dried mushrooms. Grind until mushrooms are a fairly fine powder.
 
Carefully pour mushroom powder into a shallow bowl and add 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Carefully mix.

Heat fry pan over medium high heat. Add oil.

Take strip of beef and press only ONE side into the mushroom mix.

Carefully place NON MUSHROOM side down first, so as to sear the one side first. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and then flip over and cook on the mushroom side for about 1 minute.

Remove and place on plate. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of sea salt and green onions. Repeat with meat until it is all cooked. Enjoy!

Printable recipe

A very very delicious bite (one of two that I was able to eat).

3 comments:

Jenny said...

two of my favorite foods in one, genius!

Carolyn Jung said...

Porcini is such a great flavoring agent. Just adds so much lovely umami flavor to any dish, especially big, bold, beefy ones like this.

Your hubby sounds a lot like mine. Both are keepers. ;)

Dustin Baier said...

This looks really tasty. You should share this over at www.dishfolio.com You would be a welcome addition.

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (35) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (26) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)