Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cranberry Orange Sour Cream Crumb Muffins: Learning my way around a car

For Brother #2

I'm not comfortable around cars.  Let me clarify.  I'm very comfortable driving them, putting the kids in them, and getting from place to place, but ask me to do things to them from a mechanical standpoint and I begin to freak out a little. But I'm getting better. I've learned how to jump start a car because there was a period where the car wouldn't start every single morning UNLESS it was jumped and I've learned how to turn down the dealer's "recommended" service add-ons by saying "NO, I don't need them."  But even with all of that, I still get nervous at times.

Fortunately for me, I have Brother #2, who is a bonafide car expert.  He doesn't work with them, fix them, or sell them, but he understands them and knows how to prevent one from getting ripped off.  He is the person I turn to and he is the one who teaches me what I need to do for my car.  My most recent conversation with him had to do with the state of my tires, which were sadly BALD.  I avoided dealing with them, mostly because I was freaked out about all the logistics, but once again, Brother #2 came to my assistance.  He called me and told me to get tires from here.

www.tirerack.com

He helped me choose the correct tire for what I needed and then advised me to have them sent directly to an authorized tire installer.  And the whole thing took 5 minutes online.  Then today, I called my authorized dealer to confirm that my tires had arrived, and they said yes.  I showed up at 1:00 PM to get the tires installed and by 2:00 PM I was on my way, on brand new unbald tires.  And it felt great.  And I took care of it mostly on my own.  It made me feel powerful, liberated and able to handle the next round of bald tires on my car.  I will not need Brother #2 for the next time my tires are bald, but I'm sure something else car related will come eventually and I'll turn to him for a bit more learning.

Cooking is like that.  It can be liberating, and empowering and wonderful when you understand and know how to do something in the kitchen.  Not knowing, being unsure and and uncomfortable can stymie one in the kitchen.  I want to break that.   I want people to take a moment, learn a bit about the cooking and overcome those very same trepidations and fears that I have about cars.  A little knowledge, and little learning, and a little effort can produce something really wonderful and delicious and it will make you feel powerful, liberated and wonderful.

These muffins - they aren't the simplest thing to turn out (two step process with a crumb topping and a muffins batter) but they DO taste so good that the little extra effort and stress you spend tinkering around the kitchen will make them well worth your time.  They are moist, tangy sweet and a great way to use up those leftover cranberries from Thanksgiving.  (Mine, ahem, are leftover cranberries from LAST Thanksgiving and have been sitting in my freezer driving me nuts.)  Daughters #1 and #2 gobbled them up and begged to have more and more and more and more...Son unfortunately was hands off due to all the fantastically delicious dairy inside, but was satisfied with a bowl of kimchee fried rice for breakfast instead.
Sour Cream Orange Cranberry Crumb Muffins
(adapted from Tish Boyle's The Cake Book)
Makes 15 muffins

Crumb Topping
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

In a medium bowl, stir the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until well blended. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork, stirring until the butter is absorbed and the dry ingredients are uniformly moistened. Set aside.

Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or un-thawed frozen cranberries, chopped
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
Grated zest of 1 orange


Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of 9 inch square or round pan OR line muffin tins with liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well blended. Add cranberries and toss.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and granulated sugar and medium speed until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at time, beating well after each addition and scarping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add sour cream and beat in. Mix in orange zest and vanilla.

Remove bowl from mixer, and carefully fold in cranberry flour mixture. Mix, using a light hand until just blended.

Scrape batter into prepared pan or muffin tins. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the batter, breaking up any large lumps with your fingers.

Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes for muffins. Place muffins in the pan on a wire rack and let cool. Serve.

Printable recipe

With a little practice, making these will be easier than getting new tires on your car.


3 comments:

susan said...

This post and your story has really encouraged me. I felt you were talking to me, since I have the same fears for cooking. It's my weakness and I feel so inadequate whenever I cook, because I feel I'm so bad. And yet, I go into the kitchen daily to try to cook healthy home-cooked meals for my three kids, because I don't want to feed anything else. Thanks WOM for helping me to try new things that I don't feel comfortable with, and gain confidence one meal at a time!

Joanne Choi said...

Susan - Thanks for your kind comment! If I can deal with car stuff, you can cook! I promise!!

anna said...

So glad I found this... I have cranberries AND oranges AND sour cream to use up. Perfect!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (13) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (24) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (20) vegetarian (37) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)