Friday, April 15, 2011

Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting: Having Backup

For CJR, CY, SS, SB, JEL, JSJ, YK, KSG, JCM, HK, HL and my entire prayer posse...

I am in the middle of trying to make a huge decision, and as of now, the way is still unclear and unknown.  The decision is also one that is complicated and not so straightforward and simple, and so many of my days have been filled with a lot of anguish and agony as I try and figure this thing out.  It is a decision that Husband and I have been trying to work out for over a year now and for some reason, it isn't any clearer now as it was back then.  We still need to work on it and still figure it out.  (Lest anyone worry, it is not a decision about our marriage.)

Thankfully, I have backup.   I have called any one of a number of people crying, frustrated, confused and at any given time, one of my prayer warriors will jump right in and pray for me, give me a verse, or give me wise counsel.  I'm blessed by their presence and their ever wonderful gifts to me, and I like I say to anyone who is listening, "I have a whole posse of prayer warriors behind me in a wagon.  That's how I roll."  It is amazing to say that I have this backup and this team of women who has continually lifted me up in prayer to cry out to God with me, for me and just because, is nothing short of amazing.  When I have doubted, they have reassured me.  When I questioned God, they reminded me of His favor and goodness.  When I freaked out, they reminded me that true peace, supernatural peace, comes from Him and cannot be anything but good.  They have challenged me to pray in certain ways and reprimanded me when I have needed it.

I have continually been blessed by them and I know that what could have been dark dark days have been made bright and good because of these prayers and their love.


When this is all over, and it will be soon, I want to gather all of my posse in one big hug, stick them in a car, and go somewhere all together just to rejoice in God's answer to so many months of prayers.  And while we are in that space of rejoicing, I intend to bring these cupcakes as they are royal in color, and truly signify this royal sisterhood of God-loving sisters I have.  


One of the beautiful verses given to me during this time of difficulty.  "Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion.  For the Lord is a God of justice.  Blessed are all who wait for him."  - Isaiah 30:18. 


These cupcakes are all natural in their beautiful royal color, made so with freeze dried blueberries (available at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or Target.)  The flavor is blueberry and the frosting is like eating blueberry cheesecake.  They are yummy and the color is really stunning. 
 

Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 30 cupcakes

Blueberry Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
4 large eggs
1.2 oz (34 grams) freeze dried blueberries, pulverized in a mini food processor
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup pureed fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.

Mix together flour. baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large measuring cup or bowl, mix together buttermilk, blueberry pueree and vanilla extract. Set aside until needed.


Using an electric mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest in a mixing bowl until pale, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in pulverized blueberries.
Mix in flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two batches of buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined, scraping down bowl as needed. (I like to mix the last bit by hand using a spatula to make sure I get all the stuff at the bottom.) Scoop batter into cupcake tins.


Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 21 to 24 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool in tins for 10 minutes, and then remove cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes enough to frost 30 cupcakes

1 cup of butter, softened
8 oz of cream cheese, softened
1.2 oz (34 grams) freeze dried blueberries, pulverized in a mini food processor
3-5 cups of confectioners sugar

In a large mixing bowl, mix butter until it is softened and uniform. Add cream cheese and beat together until it is uniform. Add pulverized blueberries. Add 3 cups of sugar to the mixture and mix. Add more sugar if necessary. Mix again until mixture is creamy and spreadable. Add more sugar if necessary, otherwise prepare to frost cake.

Printable recipe


In case you aren't near Whole Foods or Trader Joes -

47 comments:

Kevin said...

That blueberry frosting looks so amazingly good!

Yuni said...

Those cupcakes would be absolutely perfect for a wedding!

Anonymous said...

How did you apply the blueberry cream chees frosting on the cupcakes? Did you use pastry bags and tips?

Joanne Choi said...

Pastry bag and wiltons 2D tip.

kellypea said...

Mmmm...I made these once and loved them. Your photos are making me wish I had a tiny one right now :)

Lulu's Sweet Secrets said...

I love your cupcakes! Those are perfection!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Those look so perfect!!! What tip did you use for the frosting?

Joanne Choi said...

@Jolene- Wiltons 1M tip...the 2D also works well.

Megan @ MAID in Alaska said...

These are beautiful!

Marsha said...

just the COLOR of the frosting looks delicious.. i can imagine how it tastes!

♥, [MMS]

pansy said...

amazing ! I like it !

pansy said...

amazing ! I like it !

Anonymous said...

Just made these but I didn't have any cupcake papers so I made them as whoopie pies. They were amazing! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Just finished making these. They taste amazing but I can't get my frosting to turn out that gorgeous color. It's more of a soft lilac.

Joanne Choi said...

the color of the frosting will vary depending on how deep the color of the blueberries are. I made them another time and they were also much paler in color. :)

B's mommy said...

i'd like to use the mini-cupcake pans to bake these; however, i'm wondering whether the oven temp should be lower. thank you!

TABC Certification Online said...

Aww! That's so nice of them [your prayer posse]! BTW This is a really yummy cupcake recipe! More power and thanks for the recipe!

MissRona said...

What would the measurements be in grams and ml? I want to try these out so bad but unfortunately I don't have "cups" :(

Crissy said...

I have just found your site, and I cannot wait to try this recipe! But, I am wondering, would I use a lesser quantity of frozen blueberries for the icing? I don't want to end up with runny icing because there is more liquid in frozen blueberries. What are your thought?

Anonymous said...

I want to make these really bad for a party I have coming up, but I don't have a food processor and I can't afford one right now.

Susan said...

I see the recipe calls for freeze dried blueberries, can any other type be substituted, regular dried, frozen, fresh? Not sure where to get freeze dried blueberries. Thanks!

Joanne Choi said...

the advantage of freeze dried blueberries is that the color is intense and you don't water down the frosting. I'm not sure if frozen or fresh blueberry puree would provide the same effect. It would be more chunky and flecky in color is what I am guessing. But it is worth a try.

nicole said...

These look fabulous! Did you use full size cupcake pans? I can't tell from the image if they are "mini" cupcakes or normal size!

Joanne Choi said...

Full size Nicole!

Rita said...

Luv that u have a prayer posse...so powerful. Have to try your cupcakes.w my kids. Might even put easter mini eggs for Easter...less healthy. Thx

sushiqueen said...

These cup cakes look so elegant and delicious, I would like to taste! I need to find freeze dried blueberries to try to bake using your recipe!

Erica said...

I'm so excited to try these cupcakes! Did you store them in the fridge because of the cream cheese frosting?

Anonymous said...

This maybe silly, but can you give me other ways to pulverize the blueberries for the frosting? I tried a mini processor like you mentioned & they came out still whole? Any ideas would be helpful. Thx!!!

Nurşen Aksoy said...

Hiii.cupcakes are amazing..Iwant to eat them..Iwill try them ..

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't turn out purple. I don't have a mini food processor so I just chopped the dried blueberries. Is that why? Or did you add food coloring?

Joanne Choi said...

did not add any food coloring. Did you use dried bluberries or freeze dried blueberries? The freeze dried blueberries need to be pulverized somehow - perhaps in a coffee grinder? If you do, you will get the purple color.

Sarah Hornacek said...

These are stunning! I can't wait to try making these gluten free!

I noticed you have a few allergy friendly recipes. Check out my new gluten free blog!

www.sarahbakesgfree.com

-Sarah

Andreina Yulis said...

Thanks!! just made them. It was a blast and so delicious.
I didn't have frozen dried blueberries, so I used frozen ones, It worked, but didn't get that amazing color I can see in your pictures.

Jacqueline said...

Joanne - have to tell you, we love freeze dried fruit, but always thought it too precious to cook with (after all I schlep it back in our suitcase from USA to HK once a year!)
Then yesterday I wanted to make scottish oat cakes and inspired by you I smashed some freeze dried blueberries into the batter - PERFECT!! They made all the difference.
Thank you!!!! xx Jacqueline in Hong Kong

Steven Gunter said...

these cupcakes look amazing, I am Culinary student and I have been teaching myself how to bake, I don's start baking till next semester but I was curious to as what it meant to pulverize the freeze dried blueberries, and if by any chance someone could explain that to me that would be great. My name is Steven.

Cupcake and Talk said...

What a beautiful post. The cupcakes look amazing. Thank you for the recipe, I'll make good use of it.

MrsAndreaD2011 said...

I actually used a blended on "grind" to do mine but my frosting doesn't have a real blueberry taste. The Colorado however is perfect. Wondering if adding a little blueberry extract would work? Any thoughts?

MrsAndreaD2011 said...

Stupid auto corrrect...that should say blender and Colorado.

MrsAndreaD2011 said...

Color!!!! Jeeze that's twice!

Joanne Choi said...

Miss Andrea -

I'm wondering if you doubled up on the blueberries if it would be strong. there are variances in color and flavor depending on the batch of blueberries. Perhaps doubling up would intensify the flavor.

Kimber said...

Is it possible to do this recipe as a cake and if so, what size pan? Also could I use a glass baking dish instead of a metal pan? And what time/temp modifications do I need? Thanks! :D

roz pu said...

Hi i've baked using this recipe a few times now, but lately the liners have separated from my cupcakes almost immediately after i've taken them out from the pan for cooling. Has that happened to anyone else? Love this recipe (thanks!!!) and i'd like to continue making yummy blueberry cupcakes! thanks in advance.

Sharleen Benoit said...

Hi Joanne, I have just discovered you and I want to try each recipe.... ALL your recipes! I'm so anxious to start. Regarding the freeze-dried blueberries - I guess I'll have to try plain dried blueberries. Should that work? And, I cannot pin anything from your site. I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem? Please let me know if or what i am doing wrong. Thanks for replying and thanks Joanne, for sharing.

tarryn said...

I have made these so many times now and I love them they are my go to recipe and they are BEAUTIFUL.

Anonymous said...

Just made this frosting but in addition to the freeze dried blueberries (love my trader joes!) I also added about 3 oz fresh blueberries that I ran through the food processor. The color is amazing. Its a vibrant speckled purple and the taste is absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for everyone to try the birthday cake I'm making! Thank you for this great recipe!

Jennifer Robinson said...

I made these cupcakes in blueberry and strawberry flavor. I did not add the lemon though. Amazing!

Marni | Love and Duck Fat said...

Hi there! I made this frosting for some lemon curd-filled cupcakes and posted them on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (8) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (11) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (27) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)