Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Frozen Honey, Blueberry, Coconut Milk Dessert: Different personalities

When I look at my children, I see many bits and pieces of Husband, Family, and me all mixed up in them and it is interesting to see how every child holds a bit of our personalities in them. 

Daughter #1 is the one with whom I often find myself most at odds with.  She embodies very much all the things I want in a child - her work ethic, her drive, and her determination, but coupled with that she has a level of sass and fire that I always say is like Husband.  There are many days when I argue and fight with her and the fights play out EXACTLY like fights between Husband and me.  If I have fights with both Husband and Daughter in the same day, it feels like I have been fighting with the same person all day long.  I don't understand her at many moments and Husband understands her far better than I do.

Daughter #2 has my personality when I was young.  Some say she also has my mom's personality, being somewhat reserved and shy, but I know what I was like when I was little and I didn't say much, unless with family, and chose to be very very soft-spoken.  She has similar fears as I did and isn't as fearless as I would want her to be.  However, she also has a super super soft, generous heart and is constantly giving whatever she can to people.  The big joke is that if she had underwear, and found out that someone didn't, she is likely to strip off her own underwear to give it to someone.  

Son has many aspects of my current personality.  He has a keen wit and knows how to use it.  (I never expected a 3.5 year old to have this kind of thing.)  Husband purports that Son's humor comes from him, but I do beg to differ.  (I BEG to differ.)  He looks the most like me (or one Brother) and gets my humor and my personality more than Daughters do.  He knows how to be helpful (like me) and goes to great lengths to be my right hand man.  He's also possessive (like me - one of my traits I am least proud of) but is learning to share.  (For the record, I'm possessive about people, not about things.)

Now where ice cream is concerned, Husband is the king of all things frozen and creamy, and Daughters have caught this love from him.  I do like ice cream, but I'd rather have a cake, pie, caramel or a cookie before ice cream.  Son also is not a huge lover of frozen confections and even with the things he can eat, like sorbet or coconut milk based frozen desserts, he isn't keen on the cold.  He has asked me on numerous occasions to WARM UP his frozen dessert.   When I got a surprise gift of an ice cream maker from the J family, thanking me for teaching their daughter MJ, I was intrigued.  Would I be able to create things in it that ice cream loving Daughters and Husbands would like?  

With that challenge, and my sassy bright-red-like-a-racecar ice cream maker, I set out to make something that the entire family, including son could enjoy.  I chose to go with a coconut milk based dessert, and decided to also not have any refined sugar in it.  The result was a refreshing, coconut, not-too-sweet dessert that I felt good feeding the kids. Once again Son was not keen, but our guests as well as Daughters loved it.  I gave everyone the option of squirting honey on top to make it a bit sweeter if they felt like they wanted.  The honey hit the frozen dessert and took on a really thick and luscious quality that also added to the experience.
  
If you are expecting creamy just like dairy ice cream creamy, this is not for you.  It has a more sorbet texture, slightly icy despite using full fat coconut milk. However, if you like coconut, and want something refreshing and different, you can try this.

**Make sure you chill your ice cream bowl well ahead of time.  (24 hours if you can.)  The colder the bowl, the better your results.
Frozen Honey, Blueberry, Coconut Milk Dessert
Makes about 1 ½ quarts

Ingredients
2 cans coconut milk, chilled (just stick the can in the fridge)
1 ½ cups washed blueberries
½ cup of honey

Method
In a blender or with a hand blender, blend together all ingredients. Pour into pre-chilled ice cream maker bowl. Run machine for 25 minutes, until contents are thick and partially frozen. Remove all frozen coconut milk to another container and freeze for an additional 2 hours.

Serve with optional honey drizzle on top.


a little special treat for my special personalities

8 comments:

jennifer / my little adventures said...

the ice cream looks delicious! i recently tried a coconut raspberry version by hand and it didn't turn out so great ... do you recommend the cuisine art ice cream maker?? i was actually eye-ing the same one in blue!! :)

Joanne Choi said...

I've only used the ice cream maker twice but I do love it! it's the most highly rated one and people love it. Didn't know it came in blue!

Pengelon said...

This look delicious. I need to get myself an ice cream maker too!

Claire said...

i've been wanting to make ice cream but don't have an ice cream maker. this made me think i should go buy one!

Buckeroomama said...

So interesting to see how each child's personality is... how similar or how different to our own. :)

Koko said...

This recipe looks delicious!

Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite said...

Totally craving your ice cream right now!

ultra low temperature freezers said...

Lovely delight!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (4) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (15) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (16) chicken (32) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (24) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (2) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (2) cupcakes (20) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (28) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (39) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (11) easy lunch (7) easy main course (42) easy side dish (42) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (3) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (1) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (9) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (3) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (2) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (8) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (48) lasagna (1) lemon (12) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (4) main course (5) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (1) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party planning (15) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (3) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) pops (1) pork (6) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (5) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (21) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (10) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (1) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (11) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (7) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (2) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (11) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (22) vegetables (19) vegetarian (36) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)