Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas: Weddings and whatnot

For EC and BS - Congrats!

In an amazing turn of events, Younger Brother is getting married.  I am very excited to welcome a new sister-in-law and Children are excited by the prospect of a new auntie that will play with them, run with them and entertain them while Mom takes a nap.  (I'm excited about this prospect as well.)  But coupled with the benefits post-marriage, I have to survive one thing...the wedding.

The problem is I hate dressing up.  I mean, I like it once in a while, but on a wedding such as this, where I am the older sister, I start wondering if I am going to look like what I really am - the dowdy, matronly older sister of the handsome young groom and the blushing, young, verdant bride.  The comparisons are not to my benefit.  After all - my body has seen the wear and tear of three children and the raising of those children.  And to those of you who think that children are not wearing on your body, I should show you before and after pictures of each of my children and what carrying and birthing a child has done to my body and my face - not that I regret it or anything.  Maybe you are one of those lucky ones for whom being a mother has only added to the overall glow and beauty of both your face and body.  I, am not one of them.

I have fallen back on the only thing that I can think is the fountain of youth - exercise and better eating.  Now mind you, I try not to use the word DIET, lest Mom gets really excited and thinks I'm suddenly going to look like some Korean K-drama star (and she reads this blog so now she knows) but I am being much more careful.  I'd like NOT to be the thick-waisted older sister in law at the wedding.  I'd like to be the hip pretty sister-in-law...although that may be a bit of a stretch.  (I'll take youthful looking sister in law.)

So - one of the things that I have given up 6 days a week are starches.  And being the person with the appetite that I have, I've been digging around finding things to take starch's place.  (I stopped eating bread, potatoes, crackers, cereal, and my all time biggest sacrifice - chips.) Even pasta and rice I do not eat 6 days a week.  In its place, I've put in new and interesting things -like green vegetables.

I came up with this dish on a day when I had some leftover Spicy Turkey Sauce.  The kids got to eat their sauce on pasta (a really lovely looking orrechiete) while I ate my sugar snap peas covered in sauce.  The combination, to my surprise, was delicious and satisfying.  I ate my portion (controlled) and enjoyed each bite.  Children, upon seeing my apparent enjoyment of the dish, demanded their own pasta, sugar snap peas and sauce dinner.

The sugar snap peas are bright in flavor, lively in texture and a snap to make.  So don't hesitate.  You don't need to be on a diet to enjoy this great side dish.

Sauteed Sugar Snap Peas
3 to 4 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
10 oz sugar snap peas, chopped into ½ inch pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Heat a frypan over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic and chopped sugar snap peas all at once. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until sugar snap peas are bright green and crisp tender. Finish with salt and pepper if necessary. Enjoy.

Printable recipe

5 comments:

Claire said...

Congrats! These snap peas look simple and delicious. I love that you chopped them up

kyung said...

Good luck Joanne! You are doing the right thing by giving up starches, the true culprit in weight gain.

sillie smile said...

maybe that's what i need to do to lost some of my baby weight, SHOOT!! hahaha... but carbs are so wonderful. you don't get headaches with out them?

there is one meal that i LOVE and is filling, tofu based, if you want another pre-wedding menu item, let me know :)

honestly, has it been working? this non-diet? :)

Susan said...

Yay! I try to do no-carb diet too, but it's difficult when all I want with my Kimchi Jiggae is a big bowl of rice. Have you tried Cauliflower rice?
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sesame-chicken-and-rice-with-fiery-ginger-and-chile-sauce/
I want to try sometime!

Lauren @ hey, who cut the cheese? said...

Mmm... gotta love sugar snap peas!!

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (6) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (41) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (10) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (25) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (12) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (21) vegetarian (38) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)