Monday, November 21, 2011

Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates with Basil: More than I can handle

For SH, my partner in crime.  Let's do some more damage.

I just completed this intense project that was more than I could handle.  I took on a big project on a tight deadline on top of my regular work of being a full-time mom and teaching.  My friends watched me nervously from the sidelinse as I worked extra long hours every single evening to get it done.  I think even a few friends bit their nails on my behalf as they worried for me and my ability to finish everything that I had on my plate.

It came to the point where I was short with my children, rude to my husband, at one point saying to him, "I have no time for you.  Do not talk to me for the next 10 days."  I barely managed Daughters' homework, piano practice and swim lessons, for every single extra moment of the day I was consumed with managing the time in order that I finish the project.  I could barely post new recipes, even though my head was overflowing with things I wanted to say and it was slow torture not being able to do the things I wanted to do, in order to finish something that I had to.

And when it was all over, boy did I celebrate.  I must have sent messages and text messages to dozens of friends asking them to congratulate me.  I opened my arms to my husband and said, "YOU CAN TALK TO ME AGAIN" which made my long-ignored husband very very happy.  My patience returned to normal and the kids could immediately sense that mommy wasn't going to go off the deep end again.

And at the end of it all, what I wanted to do was to make something.  I hosted a small little Thanksgiving luncheon for a couple of Daughters' friends (and a couple of my own) and while grocery shopping, I was inspired by some medjool dates.  This is one of those easy assemble appetizers, and in fact, as my friend SH was over, I made her a sample of what I had in mind and she actually made the rest for me. It's a great dish that you ask someone to make for you!

It's one of those intense combinations of salty, sweet, rich, and fresh.  They are a total indulgence but completely worth it.
Goat Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Dates with Basil
Makes 12

Ingredients
12 medjool dates, pitted (you can pit these yourself, very easily)
6 slices of good quality bacon, cut in half
½ cup of goat cheese (I like the “Creamy Goat Cheese” they have at Trader Joes, but chevre will work just as well)
12 small basil leaves

Method
Preheat oven to 450. Line a cookie sheet (with sides) with parchment paper.

Stuff date with a teaspoonful of cheese. Stick a basil leaf on top and then wrap ½ slice of bacon around the date. Secure either with a toothpick or by sticking the seam side down on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all the dates have been wrapped in bacon.

Bake for 5 minutes until golden on one side, and then take them out of the oven and flip them over to the other. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.

Printable recipe

3 comments:

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

petitchef.com

Meliha said...

This recipe looks great! I'm putting together a little high-tea party with some close friends, and I think this will be a perfect addition to the foods I'm planning to serve. :)

Thanks for posting this!
Meliha

Carole said...

Great recipe. Would you be happy to put up a link to it in my Food on Friday – Bacon Series.

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (5) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (4) bbq (8) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) beets (1) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (2) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) boba (1) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (7) breakfast (25) brie (2) broccoli (4) brownie (1) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (5) cake (16) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (17) chicken (33) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (25) chocolate chips (7) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (3) cookies (17) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (3) cupcakes (21) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (29) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (42) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (2) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (14) easy lunch (9) easy main course (42) easy side dish (43) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (2) family (1) feta (4) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (2) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (10) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (4) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (3) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (37) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (11) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (49) lasagna (1) lemon (15) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (5) main course (6) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (2) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) miso (1) mochi (2) movies (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party (2) party planning (16) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (4) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) popcorn (1) pops (1) pork (7) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (12) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (6) rice cake (4) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (26) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (11) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) scones (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (20) simple (6) slaw (1) smoothie (2) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (13) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (7) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (9) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (3) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (13) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (13) tomato (12) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (23) vegetables (22) vegetarian (39) velvet (1) vitamix (3) walnuts (1) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)