Saturday, June 2, 2012

Basil Lemon Israeli Couscous: A different kind of hangover


My head aches.  My eyelids are heavy.  Loud sounds annoy me and the cackle of children's laughter has been plaguing me all day.  Children's needs keep getting in the way of my own need to lie down and just sleep.  To call my condition a hangover would be quite accurate.

Only it's not a hangover from excess drinking.  It's a hangover from excess Downton Abbey.  After hearing others talk about the show for a year or two, I finally took the plunge and began watching, only I couldn't stop watching and I had to watch every episode (there are 15 that are an hour each) over a period of three days (bearing in mind that I have to take care of children, students, the house before I watch, which means lots of late night watching.).  Last night was my low point, as I began watching at 10:40PM and I finished at 3:30 AM.  I had it in my head that if I just could FINISH it, then I wouldn't be distracted any longer and I could focus on my life again, much in the same way that one wants to finish that last bottle of beer even though you know you've had too many.

Today, I'm hung over.  I'm hung over on too much Downton Abbey.  Motherhood and being a mother took a huge hit today as I was not a model parent.  I was far from one.  I barely survived the day of shlepping kids back and forth between birthdays and somehow managed to dig through my fridge and create semi-passable meals for Children.  I was only a mere shell of the mom I normally am for the hangover has taken over.

Forgive me dear reader, if I've let you down with my weakness and my TV drunkeness.  I promise that I will try not to let it happen again.  As a token of my repentance over my human weakness, please take this recipe and make it.  It's lemony, light and a perfect side to any chicken or meat dish.  I think it does taste best at room temperature, but it can also be served chilled.
Basil Lemon Israeli Couscous
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups Israeli couscous
1 ¾ cups water
1 cup fresh basil leaves
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
⅓ cup of olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)

Method
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and couscous all at once. Toast couscous in olive oil until toasty brown. Once couscous has toasted, add water and bring to a boil. Once couscous and water are boiling, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff with fork. Set aside to cool.

In a small food processor or blender, add basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Blend together. Slowly add 1/3 cup olive oil until mixture is fully mixed.

Toss couscous with dressing and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with pine nuts if desired.

Serve room temperature or chilled..

Printable recipe

In case you're in the mood for a bit of drunkeness as well.  Two seasons, 15 episodes.  Season 1 is free if you have amazon prime.

4 comments:

~zandra~ said...

I can relate. My husband and I had many mornings like that after staying up way too late watching all 5 seasons of Mad Men. You know you should go to bed, but still, you watch because it's too good not to.
I'm a very new reader to your blog and definitely enjoying it :)

Jennifer Juhn said...

I am sooo hooked on Downton Abbey.
Thank you for posting your delicious recipes!

Redeeming the Time said...

I LOVE the reason for your hangover!! I have gotten several friends and my mom hooked on Downton Abbey as well. Every single one was certain they wouldn't like it, and were firm believers after the first episode. Can't wait for next season!
Your recipe looks divine, can't wait to try!

Anonymous said...

ha ha I loved it too...found ur site on foodgawker...

Labels

allergy friendly (8) almonds (7) appetizer (27) appetizers (4) apple (3) apples (1) apricots (3) artichoke (3) arugula (7) asian (7) asparagus (6) avocado (4) baby broccoli (1) bacon (5) baked (3) baking (8) balsamic (1) banana (11) bananas (2) banchan (3) bar cookies (7) basil (3) bbq (7) bean sprouts (2) beans (4) beef (12) bell peppers (2) berries (1) birthdays (5) biscuits (1) blackberries (2) blueberry (10) bok choy (2) braise (4) braising (1) bread (6) breakfast (24) brie (2) broccoli (4) brunch (2) brussel sprouts (1) bundt (12) bundt cake (15) burgers (2) buttermilk (1) cabbage (4) cake (15) cantaloupe (1) caramel (9) caramelized onions (1) cardamom (2) carrot (4) casserole (1) chai (2) cheese (16) chicken (32) chicken breasts (1) chicken thighs (3) chigae (1) chip (1) chocolate (24) chocolate chips (5) Christmas (1) cilantro (3) cinnamon (4) clams (1) coconut (6) coconut milk (5) coffee (4) cold (1) college (1) comfort food (1) cookie (2) cookies (16) corn (6) corn-free (2) cornbread (2) couscous (3) crab (1) cranberry (6) cream (5) cream cheese frosting (11) crisp (2) crostini (4) cucumber (2) cupcakes (20) curry (8) custard (1) dairy free (28) dairy-free (12) delicious (1) dessert (39) dinner (9) dip (2) donations (1) dressing (1) easy breakfast (9) easy dessert (11) easy lunch (7) easy main course (42) easy side dish (42) edamame (1) egg (6) egg free (14) egg-free (10) eggs (3) entertaining (1) event (1) fall (1) family (1) feta (3) figs (1) financier (1) fish (5) food as gifts (15) food for schools (1) french fries (1) fried (3) fried rice (3) frozen yogurt (1) fruit mosaic (7) fundraising (1) fusion (9) ganache (1) garlic (6) gelato (1) gift ideas (3) gift packaging (3) giveaway (8) gluten free (16) gluten-free (8) granola (3) grapefruit (1) Greek (3) green beans (7) green onion (1) green tea (2) Group (1) Haiti (1) halloween (1) ham (3) healthy eating (9) healthy snacks (7) holidays (34) honey (3) honeydew (1) hot (2) ice cream (3) indian (3) jalapeno (1) juices (1) kale (8) kids (3) kimchee (6) kimchi (6) korean (48) lasagna (1) lemon (12) lemongrass (2) lobster (1) lunch (7) lunch box (4) main course (5) main dish (9) make ahead (6) make-ahead (2) mango (1) marinade (7) marshmallow (1) Marx Foods (1) matcha (1) meatballs (1) meatloaf (2) meet (1) menopause fighter (6) menu (3) menu ideas (8) mexican (2) mochi (1) muffins (12) mushrooms (2) mussels (1) nectarine (1) non spicy (9) noodles (5) nut free (3) nuts (2) oatmeal (9) oats (3) orange (1) ornaments (1) orzo (1) oven cooking (16) paella (1) pan cake (3) pancetta (4) pandamania (1) parfait (1) party planning (15) pasta (24) pasta salad (6) peach (3) pears (2) pecans (3) pepitas (1) pickles (3) pie (4) pineapple (2) pizza dough (4) polenta (3) poll (1) pops (1) pork (6) pork chops (1) potatoes (7) pretzels (2) Project Food Blog (1) prosciutto (4) puff pastry (1) pumpin (1) pumpkin (10) quinoa (3) radishes (2) raisin (1) raspberry (3) review (1) ribs (2) rice (5) rice cake (3) rice crispies (6) ricotta cheese (2) roast chicken (3) roasted (3) rum (1) salad (21) salami (2) salmon (3) sandwich (10) sauce (3) sausage (12) savory (1) sea salt (2) seafood (2) seaweed (1) sesame (2) shawarma (1) shortbread (2) shrimp (2) side dish (19) simple (6) smoothie (1) sorbet (2) soup (15) soy free (3) soy sauce (2) soy-free (1) spice rub (1) spicy (11) spinach (5) squash (3) squid (1) steak (2) stew (3) stir fry (6) strawberry (6) stuffing (1) sugar free (2) sugar snap peas (2) summer dessert (7) sweet (1) sweet potatoes (4) taco (2) tart (1) tea (2) tea cake (1) teaching (1) tex-mex (2) thai (3) thank you (1) thanksgiving (12) Thomas Keller (1) toffee (5) tofu (12) tomato (11) tortilla (1) treetop treats (1) tuna (1) turkey (13) twice cooked (1) Vacation Bible School (2) vanilla bean (6) vegan (22) vegetables (19) vegetarian (36) velvet (1) vitamix (3) watermelon (1) wheat-free (4) white chocolate (1) wings (6) winter (1) yogurt (4) zucchini (1)